My 2nd great aunt Caroline Ernestine Hübsch was born in February 1867 in Germany [Prussia] to Ernst John Hübsch and Christina Henschel Hübsch. A possible emigration record showed that she came to America in 1872 with her parents and brother, W.C. Hübsch.
|1872 Hamburg Passenger List for the Ernst Hübsch Family|
(click images to enlarge)
In 1885, 18 year-old Caroline married Nelson D. Williams in Stockbridge, Calumet County, Wisconsin.
|Caroline E. Hübsch and Nelson D. Williams|
Marriage Record 1885
Transcription of Marriage Record
- Groom -- Nelson [Dein] Williams
- Groom's father -- John [Deenn]
- Groom's mother w/maiden name -- Lucy Rice
- Groom's occupation -- Farmer
- Groom's Residence -- Stockbridge, WI
- Groom's birthplace -- Stockbridge, WI
- Bride's maiden name -- Caroline Ernestine Heubsch
- Bride's father -- Ernst John Heubsch
- Bride's mother -- Christina Hentschel
- Bride's birthplace -- Germany
- Time of marriage contract -- Dec 3rd 1885
- Place where marriage contracted -- Stockbridge, WI
- Color of parties -- White
- By what ceremony contracted -- Civil
- Witnesses -- Rette [Gunse***] or [Gusse***]
- Name of person pronouncing marriage -- J.W. Parkinson
- Residence if person last named -- Brothertown, WI
- Date of certificate of marriage -- Dec 3rd 1885
- Date of registration of marriage -- January [3rd], 1886
- Any additional circumstances – [blank]
Soon after their marriage, Caroline and Nelson migrated to southern California where their three children were born:
- Henry O. Williams, Jul 1887 – Aug 1947
- Fred E. Williams, Nov 1893 - Sep 1977
- Gertrude E. Williams, May 1897 – Jul 1947
Caroline was widowed in 1899 when Nelson D. Williams died. She married again to John W. Dripps. She, John and the children lived in Oregon for awhile eventually returning to southern California. Caroline died 21 Jun 1943 in Monrovia, Los Angeles County, California. She was 76 years old.
Record of marriage to John W. Dripps
Death record for Caroline and Nelson
 Caroline is pronounced Carolina. Her nickname was Lena.
 Hübsch was also spelled Huebsch and eventually became Hibsch. It means ‘pretty’ in German.
 Year: 1900; Census Place: Azusa, Los Angeles, California; Roll: 90; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0093; FHL microfilm: 1240090. Enumeration District : 0093; Azusa Township (pt) including Azusa City bounded on the north by Antelope Township, on the east by the range line between Township 9 and 10 west, on the south by Rowland Township, on the west by El Monte Township. Ancestry.com.
 Emigration record needs confirmation.
 Wisconsin Vital Records
 California Death Index for each child.